Monday, November 7, 2016

MASCF 2016 - A Franken International Canoe


I was set to drive over to St. Michaels for the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival, that first Saturday in October, to view the hodge-podge of small craft, most home-built, but it was a weekend of torrential downpours. Just before I was to get into my car for the one-hour trek to the Eastern Shore, I checked the weather radar and there was a blob of precipitation camped over St. Michaels. (The precipitation was caused by an offshore low which also has a tendency to flood the Festival site - boots required.) I cancelled my plans and stayed around the house, puttering on various projects.

In checking through the photos of the event it looks like:
  1. The rain was not as bad as it looked on the radar. It actually appears to have stopped for the sailing race.
  2. There was a very interesting Frankenboat - a modified Nethercott International Canoe hull.

This Nethercott looks suspiciously like one that was put together by my friend George Saunders - at least the color on the hull matches. In viewing the two photos I could find online, the new owner has converted this tricky, all-out racing, sliding seat singlehander to a multi-use recreational craft. The modifications I could spot were:
  1. The sliding seat has gone away, replaced by amas for stabiltiy.
  2. He has set up this craft for rowing. To do this he had to get rid of the daggerboard trunk and set it up with a leeboard.
  3. The jib on the IC has gone away. The rig is an unstayed, carbon, cat-rig with the option for an assymetric (note the fixed sprit).
  4. To fit the unstayed rig he needed to extensively modify the bow so we see a new cedar-strip foredeck with a large storage hatch. 

Unfortunately there are no photos I could find of this Franken-Nether-IC sailing which may indicate an engineering failure in one of the systems (for one, the beam with the amas and the height of the amas looks to be inadequate for a powerful sailing rig). An interesting concept though and hopefully I'll bump into this craft in the future.




"My love of Frankenboats can never be requited" - RLM

2 comments:

Dieharddinghysailor said...

Funny I was thinking of doing something similar to mine; it's such a lovely hull shape, and so hard to master in a breeze (when you get to my age!).......seems the obvious choice, hope you can get more pictures/info on how it worked out.
Mike

Dieharddinghysailor said...

It also looks like a suitable candidate for the long distance races - Race to Alaska, Texas 200, etc....
Mike