Friday, November 28, 2014

Travelogue of the French Canals: Camp cruising a 3.3 meter Mirror Dinghy

Part 1 of a well-shot video of one man's cruise in France, in, of all things, a small Mirror Dinghy. From the blurb attached to the video by the dinghy cruiser and videographer, Digby Ayton:
"A short film from my first month sailing and rowing through the French canals in a 3m sailing dinghy. I was given the boat in the town of Rouen, 150km west of Paris. After some repairs I began my adventure, sailing and rowing up the River Siene. After about 100 km I hitched a lift on a barge and three days, two nights in the cargo hold and 200km later I was past Paris and beyond. I began to row again in the town of St Mammes and soon after turned down the River Yonne. I have travelled 100km since then and have arrived at the beginning of the Canal du Nivernais in the Burgundy region of France.


A Dinghy On The French Canals. Part 1 from D.A on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Rik said...

Very nice movie indeed. Good scenes, beautiful music, very well done.

Bursledon Blogger said...

terrific, when I was about 11 or 12 my friend and I sailed a mirror down the Thames from Marlow to Maidenhead, it isn't actually that far but it seemed like a real adventure at the time.

Dieharddinghysailor said...

Aha, very interesting; if you want a great read, try:
The Unlikely Voyage of Jack De Crow: A Mirror Odyssey from North Wales to the Black SeaPaperback– May 1, 2002

by A. J. Mackinnon

Brilliant stuff, love the way he continually ebcounters help by the riverbank just when his rudder is broken etc....a must for every yachtsman..!
Mike S

Tweezerman said...

Mike,

Thanks for pointing out this book. I'll look it up. Didn't realize there was a slew of Mirror cruisers out there.