Monday, December 1, 2008

Directors Cut; YouTube - Aussie 10 foot skiffs

For my third YouTube video, I again did a slideshow, but this time I heisted all the pictures from the Internet. I suppose this could be seen as a copyright infringment. I was willing to take the YouTube down if someone complained. That hasn't happened yet.

This is a slideshow of the Australian Historical 10 foot skiffs. Most every sailor is aware of the modern Australian 18 skiffs with three men on a trapeze ... on wide racks ... going blistering fast ... on the edge of control and beyond. There is also a modern 12 foot skiff and 16 foot skiff with two men on trapeze.

In the early 1900's there were a myriad of skiff classes in Australia; a 6 footer, a 8 footer, a 10 footer, a 12 footer, a 14 footer, a 16 footer, a 18 footer class and some behemoths over 20' long. These were round bilged, open dinghies with acres of sail and as much crew as they could fit in the boat to keep these boats mast side up. These skiffs were very similar in concept to the American sandbaggers popular in the late 1800's.

Over the last 20 years, there has been a resurgence in the Historial Skiffs, particularly in the Historical 18's and the Historical 10. All of these skiffs have been built as reproductions.

The Historical 10 footer is a ride I want to experience when I get to Australia. 10 foot long .... three crew .... flying spinnakers from the number 2 rig of the Australian Historical 18's. I think this slideshow gives a feeling on how crazy these 10 foot skiffs are.

No comments: