Sunday, January 16, 2011

Crash Boat Operation; Crash boat design

I guess RIB's (those V-bottom inflatables) would make the best crash boats but I must honestly say I've never operated one as a crash boat. (I did recently work out of SSA's RIB doing mark boat work, the soft sides do make it nice when you're leaning over, hauling anchors and marks.) The really difficult part about rescues is dragging sailors out of the water and onto the rescue boat, particularly ones who are so exhausted they can not help pull themselves into the boat.

I was looking through Professional Boatbuilder and they had one of those design contests for motorboats using low powered, more fuel efficient 35 hp outobards. One design by Morabito caught my eye. It was a Classic looking runabout but also had a low freeboard back deck platform, ideal for rescuing sailors in the water! Why can't we see someone build something just like this for a crash boat? (This back deck would also be ideal for waterskiers, probably why Morabito added it to her design.)



Links to my other crash boat posts;

The Lowly Crash Boat Operator
Crash Boat Operation, Tip 1
Crash Boat Operation, Tip 2
Crash Boat Operation, Tip 3

No comments: