Sunday, July 17, 2011

Classic Moths at Brigantine 2011

This blog is anything but topical, so I write this report about a month after I raced my Classic Moth at Brigantine New Jersey, only my second regatta of the year. We had good breeze this year, seabreeze direction, around ten with some gusts higher on some races. My mongrelized Maser was lacking some speed in the Gen1 division when matched against the two thoroughbred Olympic Europes sailed by Walt Collins and George Albaugh. I didn't help matters much with two premature starts in the last two races, though this is typical for me when I haven't been racing much. For some strange reason, the Europe Dinghies seem to have picked up speed when using regular Classic Moth sails instead of the cut down Europe Dinghy sails.

For the overall trophy, John Z eked out Joe Bousquet at the finish of the last race after a stirring tacking duel up the last beat. For more complete reports, link over to George's blog or over to Joe's blog .

Two pics from the regatta that I lifted from George Albaugh (I think taken by his daughter Ingrid).

Here I am chasing the fleet after one of my Over-Early Starts...........



Winner John Z kicking Y2K up on a plane................



Agan, many thanks to Joe and Judy Courter for the always superb prerace shindig at their waterfront home.

No comments: