Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Log Canoe Video, #4 and Last in a Series by Bob Ames

Bob Ames, who is a naval architect by day, (and night also when he draws up racing sailboats) is also an amateur videographer of note. The following video is the last in a series of four he put together about log canoe racing and, according to Bob, is to be the last one in the series as he is relinquishing a spot on the log canoe team in 2013 to drive a sport boat next season. No better way to time waste a winter evening on the Internet than watch a series of spills, mayhem and Maryland Eastern Shore culture on one of the oldest continuously raced sailboats in the world.


Log Canoe Fever from B. A. on Vimeo.


To look at Bob's other log canoe videos follow the following links.:

  1. Bob Ames Log Canoe Video No. 1
  2. Bob Ames Log Canoe Video No. 2
  3. Bob Ames Log Canoe Video No. 3

5 comments:

doryman said...

Good sound track. I take it, the big boys always get wet. Serves 'em.

Baydog said...

They are as Chesapeake as A Cats are Barnegat. In September 2001, weeks after 9/11, many of the log canoes came up to Toms River to race with the A Cats. My Dad and I spectated from my Merit 25 all day long and I kick myself for not bringing a camera. Yes, there were several capsizes, which instantly means race over.

Keep Reaching said...

Thanks for introducing me to this - I had never heard of these boats - fascinating.

What do you call the type of sails they have with the little vertical boom(?) on the mainsail?

Tweezerman said...

Not sure what the log canoe guys call that - I would say it's a clew club. I'll ask friends of mine. The sprit rig (instead of booms) was a popular American rig in the 1890's, good thing to - as the current board men don't need to worry about hitting their heads on a boom while they tack, they have to worry about getting brained as the boards fall out during a capsize.

Anonymous said...

It's just called a club; there is a club on the main and one on the fore. I was there in Barnegat Bay in 2001 -- such amazing hosts! I crewed on a tiny canoe and we dunked a lot, but the conditions would've been perfect for the Island Blossom and our 15-year crew.