Saturday, February 2, 2019

Brewsabee: Another Narrow Waterline Classic Moth Design


Brewsabee is my own design, done in 2005 as a follow on to my original Tweezer design. The design brief was to better compete with the Mistral in lighter air so the waterline beam and wetted surface was pared down compared with the original Tweezer. I never built Brewsabee because:
  • After Tweezer, I was getting at the age where I wasn't sure I wanted to continue to flop around in a narrow waterline Moth. Plus winning races now wasn't the end-all/be-all of my sailing existence.
  • Building would be more complicated. Brewsabee would be best done in foam/glass, something I wasn't too familiar with.
  • I wasn't sure, given the generally light conditions we sail in here in the Mid-Atlantic, that Brewsabee would offer any significant performance advantages over the Mistral.
So I decided to put together a Maser, a flatter Gen I design, which was an entirely enjoyable Mothboat sailing experience.

I don't consider Brewsabee to be an extreme V design, but she is a narrow waterline design.

The Brewsabee has forward flares at the gunwhale, legal in the American Classic Moth Rules since the 1 inch concavity rule doesn't kick in until after the daggerboard trunk. Sections below the waterline were a very hard U forward translating to flattened semicircular at the back.

Again, for printing or downloading, use the upper right icon to pop it into another browser tab.





Couldn't help myself - a video of Tweezer (no. 92) when she and the blogmeister were able to get to the weather mark first in light air in one race of the Nationals. But, dog-gurn-it, the Mistrals were still able to run us down over the course of the race.



No comments: